RLC member Kurt Fiech penned an excellent letter to the editor in The Lafayette Journal and Courier in Lafayette, Indiana.
His wishes are for Lafayette, Indiana, but Mr. Fiech’s wishes apply universally to those of us who yearn for liberty.
Freedom wish list for Greater Lafayette
Ten wishes to bring more freedom to our community:
1. More community needs met by voluntary contributions and fewer community needs met by force of government taxation.
2. More government services through private competition and fewer government services through government monopoly.
3. More decentralized government power residing closer and accountable to the people through townships and town councils; and less centralized government tyranny residing farther away and unaccountable to the people through the ivory towers of the county building, the Indiana State House, the Capitol building and the White House.
4. More elected short-term, “common citizen” government office holders and fewer re-elected, long-term, “professional politician” government office holders and appointed bureaucrats.
5. More peace officers like Andy Griffith and fewer law enforcement officers like Barney Fife.
6. More malum in se laws by percentage as a result of fewer malum prohibitum due to repeal.
7. More disputes settled by arbitration and fewer disputes brought to civil court.
8. More criminal court decisions resulting in restitution for crime victims and fewer criminal court decisions resulting in jail sentences for lawbreakers at taxpayer expense.
9. More “wayward children” sent home and fewer “juvenile delinquents” sent to “detention.”
10. More schools emphasizing reading proficiency and fewer schools ignoring the fact that 70 percent of our children lack reading proficiency.